komoot
  • Discover
  • Route planner
  • Features
Discover

Schloss Johannisburg

Schloss Johannisburg

Hiking Highlight

Recommended by 262 out of 273 hikers
  • Take Me There
loading

Tips

  • Golden Lady ❤️

    Even from a distance, the Johannisburg Palace proves to be a Renaissance building with striking towers. A tour of the castle is definitely recommended. The view of the Main is also breathtaking and unforgettable.

    translated byView Original
    • April 9, 2019

  • Simply impressive from all sides.

    translated byView Original
    • March 2, 2022

  • In the 12.-14. In the 13th century, the medieval Johannisburg was built here (based on 10th century stems), and added at the end of the 13th century to a chapel dedicated to John the Baptist.
    Already at that time, the castle was the second seat of government of the powerful Mainz archbishops, leaders of the largest ecclesiastical province of the Holy Roman Empire and Arch Chancellor of the Empire. In the 13th to 15th centuries, Aschaffenburg was the venue of various princely assemblies and bishops' synods with outstanding visitors such as Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian or King Wenceslas of Luxembourg.
    1552, the plant was looted during the Markgräflerkrieges and destroyed. Many existing art treasures were lost or destroyed. Many of Lucas Cranach the Elder's works have survived, today as part of the Staatsgalerie Aschaffenburg in the castle.
    1604, the construction of the castle was commissioned by Elector Johann Schweikhard von Kronberg. The remains of the old castle were demolished - except for the keep. In the central axis of the castle a replica of the coat of arms of the elector can be seen - the original was destroyed during World War II.
    The castle is strictly symmetrical and has external dimensions of 87.5 m x 86 m, the facade is made of red sandstone. The corner towers are 52 meters high, which corresponds to the width of each wing. Noteworthy are the three-storey gables in the central axes of the intermediate buildings with an elaborate ornamentation in the style of Italian Renaissance architecture. The castle is surrounded by a dry moat, accessed via a bridge in the southeast.
    From 1614 Johannes Schweikhard von Kronberg carried out the affairs of state of the new castle. For the inauguration he had minted coins that show the castle and its coat of arms. 1618/1619 then the last work was completed. The apartment of the Elector was on the first floor in the main wing and in the southeast wing was housed the silver chamber. Here are u.a. Original furniture of the Archbishop Friedrich Karl Joseph von Erthal from the period around 1800 shown. As a residence for the emperor, the "Kaiserappartement" including the very prestigious Kaisersaal was on the second floor.

    translated byView Original
    • January 1, 2018

  • In 1631 the troops of the Swedish king Gustav Adolf passed through Aschaffenburg, until 1634 the Swedish administration was located here. According to legend, a Capuchin priest is said to have saved the castle and town from sacking by Swedish troops with a humorous remark:
    After the keys were handed over, the Swedish king is said to have noted that he would have to burn down the lock, which was only completed a few years earlier. The father then said that the king should take it with him to Sweden - rolling on the wheels carved over numerous windows that refer to the Mainz coat of arms. It is reported that the king laughed at this and refrained from destroying it.
    Source: burgen.de/deutschland/johannisburg-aschaffenburg

    translated byView Original
    • January 1, 2018

  • The first buildings for the castle were probably built in the tenth century. A chapel was added at the end of the 13th century and the castle was expanded by the 14th century. The castle courtyard can be visited free of charge, for the interior you have to pay 3.50 euros admission.

    opening hours
    April to October 3: 9am to 6pm
    4 October to March: 10am to 4pm
    closed on Monday

    translated byView Original
    • December 13, 2018

  • The most beautiful sight of the castle you have from the other main page especially when it is illuminated in the evening at dusk or darkness.

    translated byView Original
    • April 9, 2019

  • Imposing castle, with many different paths to hike and admire the landscape and architecture

    translated byView Original
    • August 24, 2022

  • Visiting the castle with its garden and park is an experience that you won't soon forget.
    However, you should take enough time for it.
    Seeing it at dusk or in the dark with the appropriate lighting is truly unforgettable.

    translated byView Original
    • March 20, 2019

  • The castle Johannisburg, formerly Castle Johannisburg, in Aschaffenburg served until 1803 as the second residence of the archbishops and electors of Mainz. It was built in the period from 1605 to 1614 by Strasbourg master builder Georg Ridinger in the style of the Renaissance from Rotsandstein. The complex consists of four large wings, each with three floors. At each corner is a tower, in the four corners of the courtyard are also smaller stair towers. From 1814 until the end of the monarchy in 1918, the castle belonged to the Bavarian crown. Today, the Free State of Bavaria is the owner, and the facility is managed by the Bavarian Administration of State Castles, Gardens and Lakes. The castle also houses the castle museum and the administration of the museums of the city of Aschaffenburg.

    translated byView Original
    • January 3, 2019

  • The red sandstone castle is one of the most important and beautiful Renaissance buildings in Germany. The castle church with its renaissance altar, pulpit and portal sculptures by Hans Juncker, the princely living quarters, the world's largest collection of architectural models made of cork, the state picture gallery with works by Lucas Cranach the Elder are unique. Ä. and the castle museum of the city of Aschaffenburg with works by Ernst Ludwig Kirchner and Christian Schad.
    Source: info-aschaffenburg.de/tourismus/sehenswuerdheiten.html

    translated byView Original
    • January 1, 2018

  • Schloss Johannisburg is an old historic castle, which is in very good condition and is still being restored. It is a pleasure to look at the castle and then walk through the park, with the lovingly created herb garden. Even the view you have from the beautifully landscaped terraces on the Main is worth a visit.

    translated byView Original
    • April 9, 2019

  • The castle Johannisburg, formerly Castle Johannisburg, in Aschaffenburg served until 1803 as the second residence of the archbishops and electors of Mainz. It was built in the period from 1605 to 1614 by Strasbourg master builder Georg Ridinger in the style of the Renaissance from Rotsandstein. The complex consists of four large wings, each with three floors. At each corner is a tower, in the four corners of the courtyard are also smaller stair towers. From 1814 until the end of the monarchy in 1918, the castle belonged to the Bavarian crown. Today, the Free State of Bavaria is the owner, and the facility is managed by the Bavarian Administration of State Castles, Gardens and Lakes. The castle also houses the castle museum and the administration of the museums of the city of Aschaffenburg

    translated byView Original
    • January 3, 2019

  • One of the many sights in and around Aschaffenburg with its own history. Not only worth seeing on the outside but also on the inside. Part of the Bavarian State Painting Collection is housed here, as well as a cork museum with a replica of the Coloseum in Rome. 😀

    translated byView Original
    • September 16, 2019

  • The view of the Johannisburg castle is particularly impressive in the warm evening sunlight from the Willigis bridge.

    translated byView Original
    • January 3, 2020

  • A nice stroll through the castle garden, on the walkways, the castle-vegetable garden down to the Main.

    translated byView Original
    • January 1, 2018

  • The first constructions of the castle were probably built in the 10th century. A chapel was added at the end of the 13th century and the castle was expanded by the 14th century. The castle courtyard can be visited free of charge for the interior you have to pay € 3.50 entrance fee.
    The opening times are April to October 3rd: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
    04 October to March: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
    closed on Monday

    translated byView Original
    • December 13, 2018

  • The visit to the castle is already a real highlight during the day because it is architecturally a masterpiece. In the evening when it is illuminated this sight is truly unforgettable.

    translated byView Original
    • April 9, 2019

  • The castle dominates the image of the city of Aschaffenburg and is considered its greatest attraction.
    Even if the castle looks old it only became after the second
    World War I rebuilt as it was almost completely bombed.

    translated byView Original
    • May 25, 2018

  • Johannisburg Castle was the second residence of the Mainz Archbishops until 1803 and is located in the center of Aschaffenburg on the banks of the Main. It is one of the most important palace buildings of the German Renaissance. After the severe destruction in World War II, the exterior of the castle had to be restored before the first showrooms and collections with the rescued pieces of equipment could be reopened in 1964. A special feature is the world's largest collection of architectural models made from cork. 45 models invite you for an entertaining walk through ancient Rome under the title "Carry Rome over the Alps". The cork model of the Colosseum with a diameter of more than 3 meters is a special feature of the world's largest collection of architectural models made of cork. 45 models invite you on an entertaining walk through ancient Rome under the title "Carrying Rome over the Alps". The replicas created between 1792 and 1854 reflect the most famous ancient architectures of the eternal city with incredible detail. The Colosseum, the Pantheon, the triumphal arches of the Emperors Titus, Septimius Severus and Constantine, the Porta Maggiore and the Pyramid of Cestius can be seen.

    translated byView Original
    • December 27, 2019

  • The landmark of Aschaffenburg. Nice to look at, including the palace gardens

    translated byView Original
    • January 6, 2022

  • The castle Johannisburg, formerly Castle Johannisburg, in Aschaffenburg served until 1803 as the second residence of the archbishops and electors of Mainz. It was built in the period from 1605 to 1614 by Strasbourg master builder Georg Ridinger in the style of the Renaissance from Rotsandstein. The complex consists of four large wings, each with three floors. At each corner is a tower, in the four corners of the courtyard are also smaller stair towers. From 1814 until the end of the monarchy in 1918, the castle belonged to the Bavarian crown. Today, the Free State of Bavaria is the owner, and the facility is managed by the Bavarian Administration of State Castles, Gardens and Lakes. The castle also houses the castle museum and the administration of the museums of the city of Aschaffenburg

    translated byView Original
    • January 3, 2019

  • Park outside on the banks of the Main

    translated byView Original
    • April 1, 2019

  • You should definitely see the beautiful castle, that alone is worth the drive to AB.

    translated byView Original
    • September 23, 2020

  • A small path leads along the castle park from the bank of the Main to Kapuzinerplatz.
    This little bear sculpture was discovered.

    translated byView Original
    • January 1, 2018


In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Best Hikes to Schloss Johannisburg

loading

Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.

Learn More
  • Easy
    01:47
    4.25 mi
    2.4 mph
    150 ft
    150 ft
  • Easy
    01:07
    2.67 mi
    2.4 mph
    100 ft
    100 ft
  • Easy
    00:56
    2.22 mi
    2.4 mph
    75 ft
    75 ft
  • Easy
    01:32
    3.66 mi
    2.4 mph
    125 ft
    125 ft
  • Easy
    01:06
    2.65 mi
    2.4 mph
    75 ft
    75 ft
  • Easy
    01:24
    3.30 mi
    2.4 mph
    125 ft
    125 ft
  • Easy
    01:09
    2.70 mi
    2.4 mph
    125 ft
    125 ft
  • Easy
    00:59
    2.35 mi
    2.4 mph
    75 ft
    75 ft
  • Easy
    01:17
    3.08 mi
    2.4 mph
    100 ft
    100 ft
  • Easy
    00:59
    2.35 mi
    2.4 mph
    100 ft
    100 ft
  • Easy
    01:15
    3.01 mi
    2.4 mph
    75 ft
    75 ft
  • Easy
    01:46
    4.23 mi
    2.4 mph
    125 ft
    125 ft
  • Easy
    00:50
    2.05 mi
    2.4 mph
    25 ft
    25 ft
  • Easy
    01:53
    4.45 mi
    2.4 mph
    175 ft
    175 ft
  • Easy
    00:34
    1.37 mi
    2.4 mph
    25 ft
    25 ft
  • Easy
    01:35
    3.77 mi
    2.4 mph
    125 ft
    125 ft
  • Easy
    00:49
    1.95 mi
    2.4 mph
    50 ft
    50 ft
  • Easy
    01:52
    4.48 mi
    2.4 mph
    125 ft
    125 ft
  • Intermediate
    02:40
    6.45 mi
    2.4 mph
    150 ft
    150 ft
  • Intermediate
    02:42
    6.52 mi
    2.4 mph
    150 ft
    175 ft
  • Intermediate
    03:30
    7.83 mi
    2.2 mph
    700 ft
    700 ft
  • Intermediate
    03:59
    9.61 mi
    2.4 mph
    250 ft
    250 ft
  • Intermediate
    02:42
    6.33 mi
    2.3 mph
    325 ft
    325 ft
  • Intermediate
    04:59
    12.0 mi
    2.4 mph
    325 ft
    325 ft
  • Plan Your Own Tour
loading
Location: Lower Franconia, Bavaria, Germany

Information

  • Elevation425 ft

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Lower Franconia

loading