Bike Touring Highlight
"The Cranger Church in Herne-Crange is the oldest church in the former Wanne-Eickel and church of the Protestant parish Crange-tub.In 1441, the lord of the House Crange, Derick van Eykel, received the papal permission to build a chapel 50 meters north of House Crange.  On the 10th of August, 1449, on the 10th of August, the chapel was consecrated to Saint Lawrence by the archbishop of Cologne Dietrich von Moers. The portable altar from the house of Crange was carried into the new chapel and there dedicated to St. Anthony.
On it was celebrated annually on Laurentiustag in the village Crange a Kirchweihfest, which was in connection with a large horse market the starting point of the now nationally known Cranger fair.
A triptych, a three-part altarpiece, was added to the original altarpiece in the 15th or 16th century. This depicts the Passion of Christ. The two side panels of the triptych were painted both on the front and on the back and depict Antony and Laurentius. The Laurentius picture is now in Ahausen Castle; the Museum of Natural History and Natural History Wanne-Eickel has a color copy of the image in original size. At least since the year 1577, which is generally regarded as the "founding year" of the Protestant parish Crange, Protestant services were held in the Laurentiuskapelle. On March 6, 1846, the chapel was closed due to danger of collapse and was removed years later.A new building at the previous location was not possible because the property proved too small in view of the population development in the Ruhr area. Pastor Wilhelm Meißner succeeded in acquiring a suitable property by bartering with the Gutsherschafft. Due to the revolution of 1848 and the lack of financial resources, the laying of the foundation stone of the new Cranger Church could not be completed until August 28, 1852. "Source & further information: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranger_Kirche
March 14, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!