Friedrich Lengfeld (born September 29, 1921 in Grunwald, Glatz district, Lower Silesia, † November 12, 1944 in Froitzheim) was a lieutenant in the Wehrmacht and company commander of the 2nd company of the Fusilier Battalion of the 275th Infantry Division. He died trying to save a wounded American soldier from a minefield.
A memorial stands in his honor at the Hürtgen Cemetery of Honor, which the veterans association of the 22nd US Infantry Division had erected on October 7, 1994 in honor of Lengfeld. In addition to the Karl-Heinz Rosch memorial in the Netherlands, this is probably the only known memorial for a German Wehrmacht soldier, which was erected by the opponents at the time.
March 5, 2018
"... He wanted to save lives. He died trying to make a mark of human size in the hell of the Hürtgenwald. A stele in front of the entrance of the military cemetery between Hürtgen and Germeter reminds of German lieutenant Friedrich Lengfeld November 1944 calls for help from a badly wounded American soldier.
Lengsfeld did not hesitate. He wanted to help the enemy in the no man's land of the minefield around the “Wilde Sau”, which the Germans had laid out in the direction of Germeter. Lengfeld paid for his attempt with life. He was amazed. 50 years later, veterans of the 4th US division erected a stele to commemorate the selfless act of the German lieutenant ... "
June 8, 2018
There are two war graves in the Hürtgenwald, one in Vossenack and one in Hürtgen.
In the area of the Northern Eifel, in which the two war graves are located, the All Souls' Day raged during the Second World War, in which many war casualties were lost on both the German and American sides.
In both cemeteries, not only the soldiers who died in the fighting in the Hürtgenwald were buried, but also those who died in the area. They had been rescued by many volunteers, including the former pioneer captain Julius Erasmus.
The war cemetery Hürtgen is located about 0.5 km outside of Hürtgen directly on the main road 399.
The Hürtgen military cemetery was built between 1950 and 1952 by the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge. The cemetery was planned by the garden architect Carl Ludwig Schreiber from Aachen. The so-called "comrades crosses" were erected on the graves. These are double crosses. The double rows of the graves are all aligned with the cross.
2,997 dead are buried at the Hürtgen war cemetery, of which 524 could not be identified.
March 5, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.