Simonskall is a district of Hürtgenwald and is located directly on the former Westwall, the Allied defensive line along the western border of the German Reich. There are some reminders here. Of course the monument in place. But also the many bunker facilities that you can still find in the countryside between the bushes or the Kall Trail, on the former tanks instead of bikes rolled. Today Simonskall is a recognized resort, has a few pensions and restaurants and ends here the trails of the mountain bike park Hürtgenwald.
March 16, 2018
The story of Simonskall:
On July 3, 1608, the foundation stone for the place Simonskall was laid. This is evidenced by a deed of the Duke of Jülich, who authorized the Schobinger brothers to build a glassworks and soap mill in the "op der callen" area.
The place name "Simonskall" goes back to the master smith Simon Kremer. The Kremer farm, the so-called castle, was built in 1643. The size was 30 × 35 meters. Kremer ran an ironworks in the 7 km distant Zweifallshammer. Owner of the castle, his parents' house, is today (2014) Franz Scholl from Schmidt. The hut was shut down in 1816.
Directly on the Kall, the listed "Junkerhaus" is preserved, a semi-detached house with a looped pre-built defense tower. This is the oldest part of Simonskall and was built around 1608. After its last owner Otto Junker it is called "Junkerhaus".
Above the Kremer-Hof is the small Marienkapelle. It was first built in 1934/1935 and is now a popular wedding venue.
February 26, 2018
Just outside the Roman Catholic MarienkapelleHistory to the Marienkapelle:
The history of the chapel goes back to the 18th century. On July 22, 1741 Simonskaller citizen Thomas Scholl was granted by the Vicariate General a first valid for seven years Hauskapellen authorization. The chapel was initially in a specially designed room in the "Simonskaller castle". Over the years, this permission was renewed again and again, most recently on April 28, 1917. Since the chapel was too small over the years, on October 17, 1930, the chapel construction club Simonskall was founded.The inhabitants of the village donated land. Above the small village was built with funds from the church and the community Hürtgenwald in 1935, today's Marienkapelle.
October 15, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.