Biebrich Palace (German: Schloss Biebrich) is a Baroque residence (Schloss) in the borough of Biebrich in the city of Wiesbaden, Hesse, Germany. Built in 1702 by Prince Georg August Samuel of Nassau-Idstein, it served as the ducal residence for the independent Duchy of Nassau from 1816 until 1866. The structure was designed by the Baroquearchitect Julius Ludwig Rothweil and was completed in 1702. It survives today as the West Pavilion of the palace. Only four years later, a duplicate structure was built only 86 meters to the east. While the West Pavilion was reserved for the prince and his entourage, the East Pavilion served his wife.Prince Georg August Samuel began further development of the castle in 1707. Baroque architect Johann Maximilian von Welschlinked the two pavilions with a gallery and built a circular ballroom in the exact center. The Rotunda was completed in 1721, giving Biebrich Castle its distinctive appearance.After the death of Georg August Samuel, the House of Nassau-Idstein was extinguished and the castle came into the possession of the line of Nassau-Usingen. Prince Karl von Nassau-Usingen decided after his inauguration in 1734 to relocate his permanent residence to Biebrich. Such a residential and government office demanded further premises, so the Baroque architect Friedrich Joachim Michael Stengel designed today's eastern wing. Only three years later, Stengel built the identical western wing. The gardens were designed by landscape architect Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell in 1817 at the request of Duke Wilhelm of Nassau.Charlotte, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, sold the palace to the State of Prussia in 1935. Heavily damaged during World War II, it was renovated and partly reconstructed between 1980 and 1982 by the State ofHesse. It is now used by the state government for representation purposes and houses the state's historic preservation agency.en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biebrich_Palace
September 17, 2016
The Rhine bank near Biebrich is absolutely worth seeing. Great castle with a beautiful park, small promenade with wine (unfortunately overcrowded in good weather and then a bit tight), a lot of gastronomy. TIP: If you are looking for more peace and nature, a few km down the Rhine in Schierstein is better off!
June 2, 2018
Impressive Baroque splendor, fittingly housing the Hessian State Office for the Preservation of Monuments. The wonderful castle garden is freely accessible and invites to long walks. In addition, the castle has a cozy bistro café with a large outdoor terrace.
Opening hours of the café:
Tuesday to Saturday from 11.30am to 11pm
Sunday from 11.30 to 21 o'clock
September 12, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!