The monastery church was built in 1497 for the stone house monastery. For centuries, in addition to the monastery church, there was also a small Catholic town church for the city dwellers. As part of the Prussian secularization, the monastery was closed and the monastery church is now open to all city dwellers.
The church in Beyenburg is also the last destination of the Westphalian Way of St. James. Here all pilgrims get their last stamp.
January 25, 2018
At the end of the 13th century, the Counts of Berg secured the trade route that led from Lübeck via Hamburg, Bremen, Osnabrück, Münster and Dortmund to Cologne, a castle that served as a border fortress. Previously, since 1182, the fortified courtyard stone house was occupied in their possession, which apparently also had served the border security and now lost this function with the construction of the new castle. The Counts left the court in 1298 the Order of the Holy Cross, whose members were first cross brothers and since the mid-15th century cross lords called. In 1302 they supplemented this donation by the granting of a ridge, which extended east of the new castle. Apparently, the court and a chapel belonging to the cross brethren served as the site of their monastic life, because only from 1485 is the construction of a monastery on the ridge in the east of the castle witnessed. 1497, apparently after the completion of the residential and farm buildings, also the monastery church was tackled, whose establishment went on until the early 16th century. It was dedicated to the patronal feast of St. Mary Magdalene. Around 1700, the residential buildings were partially renovated. After the abolition of the monastery as a result of secularization in 1803 was a partial demolition, survived the church, the east wing of the monastery and six yokes of the southern cloister wing.
January 26, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!