The Lion Wall is part of the Wallring, which was created from 1800 on the site of the abandoned bastionary fortification. The planning and management of this holistic transformation was the responsibility of the head of construction in the Duchy of Brunswick, Peter Joseph Krahe (born April 8, 1758 - October 7, 1840).
The oval shape of the square, surrounded by a three-row chestnut avenue, follows the example of a Roman circus. The plans for the cast-iron obelisk (1), erected in the longitudinal axis of the square in 1822, are also from Peter Joseph Krahe (1), reminiscent of the Brunswick dukes who died in the Napoleonic Wars. The fountains were created around the middle of the 19th century. The transition from the strict form of the square to the meander of the Okerum flood is deliberately natural. The western edge of the square is lined with some well-preserved villas from the second half of the 19th century (2, 3, 4). The northern end is the 1906-1908 built group of Municipal Museum (5), city archives and city library.
The embedding in the spatial sequence of the promenade ring is preserved in the north; Here the obelisk turns as a focal point into the axis of the stone gate. The connection to the south and the former August Gate is destroyed by the construction of the Kurt Schumacher Street (around 1960).
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!