The Duca degli Abruzzi refuge was the first alpine refuge built on the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines, more precisely on the shores of Lake Scaffaiolo.
It was inaugurated on 30 June 1878 thanks to the joint initiative of the CAI of Florence and that of Bologna. On 23 August 1902 it was rebuilt again and dedicated to Prince Louis of Savoy, Duke of the Abruzzi. Due to the climate, war and vandalism, the refuge was rebuilt three times, on September 17, 1911, August 29, 1926 and in the summer of 1965, when it was built in yellow painted sheet metal. On 30 September 2001 the new Duca degli Abruzzi hut was inaugurated, in masonry, with a much better visual impact than the previous one.
September 9, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!