The first beginnings of the garden are occupied around the year 1500. From 1716, in keeping with the spirit of the time, a luxurious French Baroque garden was created. But already 60 years later, they began with the fundamental transformation and extension to an English landscape garden. It has been preserved to this day in almost unchanged form. For almost 200 years, the Ducal Garden is also available to the citizens. It is listed today as one of the most important garden art works in Northern Germany.
November 15, 2017
In the center of the castle garden is the kitchen garden, which was designed from 1790 and modeled after English models. It is about 1.8 ha in size. The walled garden is dominated by the Orangerie building in the northwest, whose origin dates back to the Baroque period. For centuries, the kitchen garden has been used for the production of horticultural products and supplies to the Eutin court kitchen. The industrialization in the 20th century and the associated growing anthropogenic influences caused severe damage in the kitchen garden in the subsequent period, which significantly affected the substance, the effect and the function of the cultural monument. Ultimately, these problems led to a complete abandonment of horticultural use - since the 1990s, the site is largely broke.On the initiative of the Schloss Eutin Foundation and the State Office for the Preservation of Monuments Schleswig-Holstein, important foundations for ecological improvement of the historic water system have already been created in recent years and can be found by soliciting a competition solution for the restoration of the kitchen garden.
First repair work took place with the monument-appropriate renovation of the kitchen garden wall. From autumn 2008 extensive restoration work on the historic orangery building took place, which was inaugurated in the spring of 2011 solemnly. In cooperation with the Schleswig-Holstein Archaeological State Office, several garden archaeological investigations were carried out in the kitchen garden. a. provided information about the historical route system and a former drainage ditch. This historic ditch as well as paths and vegetation in the vicinity of the Orangerie building and the wooden house have already been restored. The first step in being able to present the once again so species-rich planting of the kitchen garden in the future, has succeeded with the planting of a fruit grove in a historic quincunx formation and a "living garden fence" from various native wood species. A special feature is the cultivation of low-fruited fruit trees, so-called dwarf fruit or Franzobst. So far, 35 historic apple and pear varieties have been refined and transplanted to an area in the horticultural center Ellerhoop. The special cultivation of the treetop will take at least four years before the dwarf fruit trees can be transplanted into the kitchen garden Eutin.
September 17, 2018
On a slope west of the kitchen garden was built in 1790/91, the large waterfall of an artistically designed rock landscape by the court sculptor August Friedrich Moser (1746 - 1810).The waterfall, whose construction was enlarged once only eight years after its construction, is still fed by the waters of the small Piependieck.
Above the plant surrounded by climbing plants there are yews. The impact of the water on a buffer stone causes a visual and acoustic stimulus.
The waterfall was and still is a coveted motif for many artists.
September 17, 2018
The temple garden at the round temple (Monopteros) is the highest area of the entire garden. It was included in 1796 as part of the former wild paddock as a new garden area in the already existing area.The Monopteros Doric-Attic order stands in outstanding position. It was built under the supervision of Peter Richter (1750 - 1805). The temple frieze is decorated with reliefs of sacrificial symbols - bull skulls and sacrificial bowls - created by August Friedrich Moser (1746 - 1810).
Models were built in Kew Gardens in Surrey, William Chambers (1723 - 1796) had built. They are symbols that may point to efforts in the further pursuit of the life path.
According to the philosophy of the Enlightenment of the 18th century, the goal of a life's journey is the attainment of wisdom. Therefore, the monopteros is also called "wisdom temple". ("Enlightenment is the output of man from self-inflicted immaturity")
September 17, 2018
The white 1.70m large Flora, goddess of flowers and flowers, youth and spring, is surrounded by yew trees on a small pedestal on the banks of the Tralauteiches as an "eye-catcher" at the end of the lime tree avenue.
From the current point of view, no path leads directly to the flora. The statue is a replica of the original flora, which was created around 1829 and is now in the castle. The sense of detachment, the inaccessibility, the femininity and the youth of the depicted sculpture can be understood as a form of remembrance of Duke Peter Friedrich Ludwig (1755 - 1829) to his late deceased wife Frederike (1765 - 1785).
The prototype for the Flora statue stands in the Museo Capitolino in Rome. Other flora statues were found in the English Gardens of Blenheim Palace in the county of Oxfordshire and Stourhead near Stourhead.
September 17, 2018
The avenue, which consists of 55 pairs of trees over a distance of 335 meters, corresponds to the path of the youth, which is influenced by a guiding force. With a view of the Flora statue, Lindenallee leads to a crossroads that divides to the east and west and requires a choice of direction.
June 20, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.