The main and market church of Hagen was begun around 1200 after the model of the cathedral as a Romanesque basilica, from 1250 to the Gothic hall church rebuilt and expanded and completed in the late 14th century.The southern of the two different octagonal towers received in 1379 his pointed tower dome. In 1887-90 Ludwig Winter restored the church in neo-gothic style.After war damage in 1944 St. Katharinen was rebuilt from 1946-58, from 1987 the church was restored, the outer walls were colored.The numerous epitaphs (mortuary tablets) are the hallmark of this since 1528 Protestant parish church.Hagenmarkt 22
October 9, 2019
The Hagenmarkt, center of the "soft image" Hagen founded by Duke Henry the Lion around 1160, is surmounted by the parish church of Hagen, St. Katharinen. Their construction was begun after St. Martini and after the model of the cathedral between 1200 and 1205. Originally built as a completely arched pillar basilica, it was rebuilt in 1250 as a Gothic hall church and equipped with large tracery windows. Characteristic of the church is the elegant west building with its slender towers. Worth seeing is the gradual increase from the Romanesque basement to the filigree gothic of the belfries. Numerous epitaphs (mortuary tablets) from the Renaissance and Baroque periods characterize the Katharinenkirche. It is since 1528 Protestant parish church.
December 12, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.