"The castle was built in the 12th century as the ancestral seat of the Lords of Lüdinghausen and rebuilt in the 16th century under Gottfried von Raesfeld to a typical Renaissance castle.The castle is now used by the VHS, for exhibitions and Council meetings The hall, decorated with coats of arms, offers space for concerts, the tower and the west wing date back to the late 19th century.
Inscription with food prices from 1573/74
From the 16th century come some of the interesting construction details. So found in the facade of a carved in stone list of food prices from the years 1573/74, various coats of arms and an inscription to the city fire in 1569. The upper rooms of the castle combine building tradition with modern elements and are partly equipped as meeting rooms. The castle is now owned by the city Lüdinghausen.
The highlight of the witch hunts in Lüdinghausen seems to have been the year 1624. Proceedings were conducted in the court house at the castle, where the defendants were questioned during the "amicable" interrogation and torture. In a witch's wave in a few months 1624 at least 20 people were executed under the suspicion of witchcraft, including Bernhard Schwarte, Heidtmann from Haltern am See and wife of Heidtmann from Haltern am See. Probably the number of victims was higher, since the files are only partially preserved. "Source: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burg_L%C3%BCdinghausen
December 5, 2016
The castle can be visited. It is open Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 6pm.
Visitors have the opportunity to purchase a combination ticket for the main and outer bailey or to visit the outer bailey individually.
Entrance fees for the fortress
Adults 3,50 €
Children from 6 to 18 years € 1.50
Combined ticket for main and outer bailey
Adults € 7.50
Children from 6 to 18 years 3,50 €
June 2, 2018
The park between the castles Lüdinghausen and Vischering is lovingly laid out and, in addition to all sorts of interesting information, also contains an exciting mixture of art and landscape. The paths are very well laid out and several benches invite you to linger in the sun.
August 12, 2019
The complex around the castle Vischering is definitely worth a visit, which can then be longer. In addition to the wonderfully preserved castle - the main castle is subject to entry - the area around the castle is beautiful (more information about the castle at burg-vischering.de).In addition to the atmosphere there is the possibility for a pleasant rest in the area of the outer bailey. There is a café with a great selection of cakes and pies and the opportunity to buy fresh bread.Lüdinghausen itself (about 8 to 10 minutes walk from the castle is the city center) offers an extensive gastronomic offer. So everyone gets their money. It is exciting, by the way, that in addition to Burg Vischering, there is also the Burg Lüdinghausen to explore. Both are almost within sight of each other and are connected by a beautifully landscaped park.
August 12, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!