The three-aisled Protestant collegiate church of St. Mary dates from the 14th century and stands
presumably on the foundations of two Romanesque predecessors. With the construction of the choir was
Begun in 1388, in 1481 the elevation of the parish church to the collegiate church followed. Upstairs of the
Late Gothic building was a library set up for the scientist Konrad Wellin as a foundation in 1448 donated around 63 books. Today, the collection comprises about 900 medieval manuscripts and early prints, including one of the three remaining "Wertheim Bibles." On the ground floor of the choir are the tombs of Wertheim's Earl family, which gradually became Protestant in 1522 as part of the Reformation God's house.
About 100 years later, the count family split into a Protestant and a re-catholic branch - from then on the collegiate church was used as a simultaneous church: catholic masses were held in the choir, while Protestant services were celebrated in the nave. This simultaneous use of the church took until the completion of the Catholic parish church of St. Venantius in 1842. As a special feature, the collegiate church has a slightly asymmetrical floor plan, which is due to the former road and other planning errors on the one hand.
Next to the entrance to the Wertheimer Stiftskirche, a winding sandstone staircase leads to a small side room in the tower: the Heilig Geist Kapelle. The Wertheimer Madonna from the early 14th century hangs above the entrance of this chapel. It shows the change of the majestic
medieval picture of Mary to the loving mother.
August 1, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!