The evangelical village church Vehlefanz is a listed church in the Brandenburg town of Vehlefanz. The core of the church is a late medieval field stone building from the 15th century, with older masonry dating back to the 12th/13th. Century to be dated predecessor church could be included. A Baroque transformation took place in the 18th century.
In the course of the Christianization of the area at the end of the 12th century a church can be expected to be built in Vehlefanz. However, the first documentary mention comes from a document from the Spandau monastery from the year 1420. The elongated fieldstone building with a square west tower that forms the core of today's church was built at this time. The edge masonry and the edging of the openings are made of brick.
At the beginning of the 18th century, the church was given a three-sided chancel and its cross-shaped floor plan thanks to side extensions on the nave. The window openings were enlarged and the entire building plastered for the first time. The tower dome dates from 1738 when the old dome was completely demolished.
The first major renovation since 1750 took place from 2009 to 2017. The interior was renovated in 2015, which is why the church could not be entered. On September 23, 2017, the church was reopened with a church dedication and service.
October 23, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!