When the mill in Sittensen was built has not yet been clarified exactly. It is known that the Horneburg castle man Dietrich Schulte came into their possession in 1600 through a barter with the Verden bishop Philipp Sigismund.Originally the grinder was driven by two water wheels. After a massive expansion of the building in 1908, the two water wheels were replaced by turbines.In 1984 the mill was sold to the municipality of Sittensen, which in the following years carried out a comprehensive restoration of the mill with reactivation of the use of hydropower using an undershot water wheel.Today a craft museum has been set up in the old mill, which among other things shows the traditional grinding technique of the water mill. In addition, the tourist office of the Sittensen municipality is located in the building.
January 3, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!