The Barmen Cemetery of Honor was laid out in 1914 and the first dead were buried in the same year. The cemetery was the first in the Düsseldorf administrative district and was recommended to other cities for imitation. It is located in the Barmer Anlagen on Lönsstrasse, the property was a gift from the Barmer Beautification Association. As the above postcard shows, the first casualties of the war were still in the
Hall of Fame laid out. It is unclear whether the fallen men, who presumably died of their injuries in Barmer hospitals, were presented and honored in front of the statue of the warlord, but it can be doubted.The cemetery of honor is divided into three parts: In the lower part, the graves are lined up and there is the war memorial. This is followed by a terrace-like part at a right angle, where the graves are also in rows in front of the walls. In the upper part, the graves are arranged in circles and very spacious, while the later grave sites of the fallen of the Second World War were again placed closely in rows.Source: denkmal-wuppertal.de/2010/02/ehrenfriedhof-barmen.html
June 15, 2021
As a memorial to the many dead, such places are very important to this day. "Now you, lord, let your servant part in peace, as you said ..." it says in the so-called "hymn of praise of Simeon" (Luke Gospel chapter 2, verse 29). Those buried here, however, are not divorced in peace, but have become victims of war and tyranny. The most important function of the military / honorary cemeteries as well as war cemeteries is therefore to remind of the lasting preservation of the peace.
July 22, 2021
On September 30, 1916, the memorial was unveiled on the occasion of the first expansion of the cemetery of honor, but it was not yet completed at the time. The lion, created by the sculptor Paul Wynand, who was born in Elberfeld and who works in Berlin, was already on the pedestal at the time, but it was not yet the desired memorial because it was to be made in gilded bronze. Because of the war, the material was not available for this. On July 6, 1922, the city council decided to complete the monument. On October 20th of that year, the lion's monument was presented to the public as “a defiant symbol of the city” and “a symbol of death-defying loyalty and bravery” and donations were called for, because the costs had not yet been covered. The inscription comes from the Barmer writer Will Vesper (1882–1962).The foundation of the Barmer Löwen was carried to the cemetery of honor on a truck with 10 harnessed horses. There are 10 pillars around the war memorial, which a few years ago supported an open roof, similar to a walkway.The lion and the inscription.
“Here everyone is silent about their sufferingand no matter how great a need. We are not
all ready to sacrifice and to death.
One is burned in the skyEverything is allowed to perish
Germany our children and fatherland,
Germany must exist "Source: denkmal-wuppertal.de/2010/02/ehrenfriedhof-barmen.html
June 15, 2021
A memorial for those who fell in the Kapp Putsch was also inaugurated on March 20, 1921 at the Barmer Ehrenfriedhof, at the same hour and with great sympathy from the population as the Elberfeld Kapp Putsch memorial. However, the memorial was not integrated directly into the grounds of the Ehrenfriedhof, but it is clearly separated from the graves of those who died in the World War.The memorial shows a relief of a sower, who symbolizes “the victoriously striding proletariat”, as the USPD keynote speaker Sauerbrey announced. As the strong, muscular man spreads the seed, the sun breaks out of the clouds. The monument visible at this location today was made by Fritz Kuhnle and was erected in 1946 by Paul Kuhnle based on the model of the original destroyed by the National Socialists. The Paul Kuhnle memorial was found in the early summer of 1980 on the Friesdof grounds and is now in the found condition on the “terrace” below the lion in the cemetery of honor.The inscription on the 1946 monument reads:"The banner must stand,
if the man falls too "
The inscription on the 1921 monument read:
"The banner stops,
if the man falls too
March 1920 "The inscriptions are based on words from the song “Tord Foleson” by the Norwegian Per Sivile. (Lyrics from the web) Another monument was erected in Cronenberg. In 2003 another memorial was erected on the Ostersbaum.Source: denkmal-wuppertal.de/2010/06/denkmaler-fur-die-gefallenen-des-kapp_25.html
June 15, 2021
In the upper part of the Barmer Ehrenfriedhof there is a small “enclosure” that does not belong to the actual Ehrenfriedhof. It consists of a memorial stone and seven graves of foreign prisoners of war.The facility was suggested and laid out by the “Association of Former Prisoners of War Barmen”. The fallen died as prisoners of war in the last days of the war in Barmer hospitals and were buried in various cemeteries, only to find a common final resting place in the Ehrenfriedhof in 1933. On May 21, 1933, the association handed the memorial over to the city. The Belgian Vice Consul from Cologne and representatives of the authorities, the warrior associations and the churches were present. The commemorative speech was given by the retired rector Richard Blaß, who was known as the “father of prisoners of war” because of his efforts to free German prisoners of war. He pointed out that German former prisoners of war had suggested the establishment of the facility. Here in Barmen we don't know more than the names and dates of the dead, but we are certain that they had fought for their fatherland and their ideals and had fallen. In the hour of death they could not have heard a word of consolation in their mother tongue, which must fill everyone with compassion. Musical accompaniment was provided by the trombone choir of the Evangelical Men's and Young People's Association in Wichlinghausen, the French horn quartet of the city orchestra and the Barmens men's choir.“‘ Not hate
rule the world! ’
former prisoners of war
Barmen. "In the original version, the inscription was lined with two crosses, the one on the left seems to have been lost.Source: denkmal-wuppertal.de/2010/03/kriegerdenkmal-zu-ehren-der-ehemaligen.html
June 15, 2021
A bronze sculpture can be found in an open space in the upper part of the Barmen cemetery. It shows a man lying on the ground who can still support himself with one arm. The other arm holds the side. He has closed his eyes, his face is turned towards the sky. It is a suffering figure. The fact that this interpretation of the soldier by Walter Wolff survived the Nazi regime is due to the fact that it was once a private Deutsche Bank memorial and was only brought into the public space at the Barmen cemetery around 1960. Because undoubtedly the Nazis would have destroyed this suffering, naked, non-heroic soldier, as they did with other monuments.n 1923, the sculpture for the memorial was created in the vestibule of the Deutsche Bank AG building on Elberfelder Königstrasse (today: Friedrich-Ebert-Strasse). 31 fallen employees were thought of at this point.On April 6, 1955, the then Rheinisch-Westfälische Bank held a ceremony to commemorate the 19 fallen and 6 missing from the Second World War and an additional bronze plaque was attached to the memorial in their honor.In 1960/61 the old bank building was torn down and replaced by a new building. The sculpture came at the suggestion of the director of the Von-der-Heydt-Museum, Dr. Aust, to the Barmen Cemetery of Honor.Source: denkmal-wuppertal.de/2010/02/kriegerdenkmal-sterbender-krieger.html
June 16, 2021
On April 9, 1926, the Rhineland Provincial Association of the German Teachers' Association inaugurated the monument designed by Prof. Peter Klotzbach for the deceased colleague Johannes Langermann on the Höhenweg in the Barmer Anlagen. That Langermann, born on October 24, 1848 in Broock, completed the teachers' seminar in 1878 and worked in Barmen from 1880 to 1906. The committed teacher became a school reformer and dreamed of a school in which the students could freely develop their own personality without the state or church interfering with their education. He saw it as the task of the teacher to encourage and develop a child's talents. His ideas earned him numerous followers, even abroad, for example the Japanese minister of culture, who had studied in Germany, sent him a valuable sword around 1900.After 1906 Langermann got the opportunity to realize his ideas in Darmstadt (Stein-Fichte-Schule) and Oberstdorf (Stillach-Schule). He died on July 28, 1923 and was buried in Lüdenscheid, where the Westphalian Teachers' Association erected a tomb for him in the mountain cemetery on his 100th birthday in 1948.The monument consists of a stone cube on a small, round square. Up until the Second World War there was a bronze portrait of Langermann by Wilhelm Koopmann above the inscription. On April 1, 1951, the memorial was inaugurated again after the war damage had been repaired. In autumn 1985 the Barmer Beautification Association renewed the weathered inscription plaque and changed it slightly in the process.Source: denkmal-wuppertal.de/2011/10/johannes-langermann-denkmal.html
June 16, 2021
As a memorial to the many dead, such memorials or war memorials are very important to this day. "Now you, lord, let your servant part in peace, as you said ..." it says in the so-called "hymn of praise of Simeon" (Luke Gospel chapter 2, verse 29). The people who are commemorated here, however, are not divorced in peace, but have become victims of war and tyranny.
Many places that one encounters along the way bear witness to the horrors of war and tyranny, which are still important today. They all have two main functions:
-1- Remember the victims and remember them
-2- Admonish the keeping of the peace
August 26, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!