The castle Wartenfels dates back to 1259. Since then she changed hands several times until she was conquered and burnt down in the peasant wars. Then the castle owners lived only sporadically on the makeshift restored castle. Since the end of the 16th century, the castle is uninhabited and decayed over time.
Restoration work did not take place until the 1980s. Today you can visit the ruins and take a look over the wall to the surrounding landscape.
June 20, 2018
The castle Wartenfels was built in 1259 by Konrad von Steinkirchen (probably a member of the Tanner) together with his son-in-law Konrad zu Kalham, the latter was then called Konrad von Wartenfels. The castle appears in documents from 1267 and was sold in 1301 by another Konrad von Kalham with the associated goods to the Salzburg Archbishop Konrad IV (daz purchstal ze Wartenuels), but got it back as a fief. After the extinction of Kalhamer the archbishop set up on Wartenfels a Pfleggericht, which existed until 1564. In the Peasants' War of 1525/26, the castle was burned down and no longer completely built despite compensation of the judiciary. 1552 still interior work was settled. In 1557, the castle roof was re-covered. Thereafter, the Pfleggericht moved to a house in the center of Thalgau. For a time, the castle was inhabited by hunters and game wardens, but was increasingly abandoned to decay and fell to a few remnants of the outer masonry.
In 1541 Paracelsus allegedly stayed at the castle and he is said to have maintained a close relationship with the castle keeper's sister, Adelinde.
The castle also included a "building yard" or Maierhof. This is the estate "In Prichsen" (Thalgau-Egg No. 3). Its first owner is a Chunradus, who opened in 1336 in the court of the bishopric. The yard was renewed in 1578. Today, the ruin Wartenfels belongs to the farm.
June 27, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.