Hiking Highlight (Segment)
The baroque Way of the Cross
As early as 1650, three crosses stood on the small plateau above Gaadener Strasse, in memory of the Calvary in Jerusalem. In 1670, a number of Viennese citizens built a chapel in honor of the crucified on this square, the so-called Bergl or Schneiderbergl, and in 1671 Abbot Klemens Schäffer built a hermit's house next to it.
When the Turkish invasion in 1683, the so-called "Bergl chapel" was destroyed, but already two years later from donations of the citizens of Vienna rebuilt. In 1728, the "Kirchl auf dem Schneiderbergl" was repaired by Heiligenkreuzer master carpenter Aegidius Bauer, and a staircase to the mountain is also mentioned.
The magnificent Baroque Way of the Cross with the 13 station chapels and the main chapel of the 12th station was built between 1731 and 1748.
July 5, 2017
The magnificent Baroque Way of the Cross with the 13 station chapels and the main chapel of the 12th station was built between 1731 and 1748. Initiator and builder was Abbot Robert Leeb, who had this Way of the Cross created in memory of his pilgrimage to the Holy Land. As a young priest, Abbot Robert had seen the real Way of the Cross in Jerusalem in 1719 and had himself gone with great emotion.
September 9, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!