Local history museum in the tower in Hitdorf
There is a small, white plastered tower near the Rhine. It is a transformer house built around 1910, which has very subtle shapes of the geometric Art Nouveau. The former transformer station was made available to the Hitdorf Heimatverein, founded in 1982, as a domicile and future museum for the Hitdorf district of Leverkusen. This is where the association's extensive image material and literature is stored. The transformer station, which was in need of renovation at the time, was largely refurbished in-house, supported by donations.
On January 19, 1998, the first exhibition was opened under the motto “Ferry, Shipping, Harbor”. The relatively small space capacity only allows temporary exhibitions, e.g. with the topics “Brewing, cigar and tobacco production and match production” in Hitdorf. But the local history museum is also available to local associations, for example as an exhibition space.The bronze statue in front of the turret was designed by the artist Bärbel Kolberg and inaugurated in August 2007. It symbolizes the three powerful branches of industry in Hitdorf: The barrel stands for brewing beer, the pipe for tobacco processing and two oversized matches for making matches.
April 16, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.