• Discover
  • Route planner
  • Features

Johannapark Holzbrücke

Johannapark Holzbrücke

Bike Touring Highlight

Recommended by 244 out of 266 cyclists
  • Take Me There


  • Rain Er

    In the park there is a playground and a large pond with an island, bridges and fountain. The Lutherkirche is located on Ferdinand-Lassalle-Straße at Schreberstraße.

    We owe the fact that we can enjoy this beautiful park in the middle of Leipzig today to the Leipzig banker Willhelm Seyfferth (1807-1881), who bought some meadows on the west bank of the Pleiße in 1858. There he had an English-style park created based on Lenné's designs. With his death in 1881, he bequeathed this to the city of Leipzig in his will.

    Seyfferth's daughter Johanna died early after an unhappy love affair. In memory of them, the Johannapark should keep this name forever. As a legacy, Willhelm Seyfferth decreed that the park should never be built on, that nothing should be changed in Lenné's creation and that the connection to the meadows and forests of the floodplain should be preserved for the public.

    That was an extremely careful city planning decision for Leipzig. Even today, walkers and cyclists can "get through the green" from Leipzig's city center in a southern direction to Connewitzer Holz and north past the palm garden to Leutzscher Holz and further into the nature reserves of the Burgaue.

    Source: leipzig.de/freizeit-kultur-und-tourismus/parks-waelder-und-friedhoefe/parks-und-gruenanlagen/clara-zetkin-park/johannapark

    translated byView Original
    • June 25, 2017

  • Located in the middle of the Johannapark. Very nice wooden bridge.

    translated byView Original
    • September 2, 2017

  • The Leipzig banker Wilhelm Seyfferth (1807-1881) bought in 1858 a part of the on the west bank of the old Pleiße located the Thomas school belonging Martorffer meadow for 19 000 Thaler and complemented the land by exchanging parts of the university and Seichwiese. Between 1861 and 1863 he had it based on designs by the landscape architect Peter Joseph Lenné (1789-1866) create a first 6.34 hectares park in the English style. In memory of his daughter Johanna Natalie Schulz (1836-1858) he gave the plant the name Johanna Park. In his will of October 6, 1879, Seyfferth donated the park to the city of Leipzig on the condition that "this property be permanently removed from the development and retain its present name."

    translated byView Original
    • April 16, 2019

  • On October 24, 1881, the property became the property of the city of Leipzig. By including the areas up to Bismarckstrasse and Marschnerstrasse, the park was enlarged slightly, but in 1889 the southernmost part of the park was covered again by Karl-Tauchnitz-Strasse. The founder’s second demand was also not met: by decision of September 24, 1954, the Johannapark was merged with the former König Albert Park and the disc wood park to form the Central Culture Park “Clara Zetkin”, so that its real name was increasingly suppressed.

    In 2011 it was decided that the Johannapark (as well as the Klingerhain and the Palmengarten) would get back their historical names.

    translated byView Original
    • April 16, 2019

  • Very nice bridge to look at. A wonderful place to enjoy, especially in the golden hour before sunset 😊

    translated byView Original
    • April 1, 2019

  • Something to enjoy ⭐️⭐️⭐️

    translated byView Original
    • April 2, 2019

In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Top Touring Cycling Routes to Johannapark Holzbrücke


Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.

Learn more
Location: Saxony, Germany

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Saxony