The Ophover mill is a watermill with an undershot water wheel.
The Ophover mill is located in Forst in the middle town of Wegberg. The mill building near the Wegberger school and sports center is on the left side of the Beeckbach. Upstream of the mill is a large mill pond, the water level of which is 64 m above sea level. NN lies.
The Ophover mill probably dates from the 14th century. Their name goes back to the noble family of "von Ophoven", who had their farm on the grounds of the nearby moth and operated the mill. 1639 was Tewis (Mathaeus) Vell Müller of the Ophover mill (dat Müllerken uff der Freyheit). In 1826, the mill directory identified Johann Wilhelm Menz's widow as the owner. The mill was a grain mill with two grinding cycles and an undershot water wheel. From 1867 it was a water and steam mill, so it also worked with a steam engine drive. It was the last Wegberg mill that still operated with hydropower. It was closed in 1965.From Wikipedia
about 13 hours ago
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.