The name "Schowenburg" or "Schauenburg" appears for the first time in 1197 for the castle, as the center of a rulership of the same name. In addition to the castle at that time, this included the towns of Biebrich, Cramberg and Steinsberg.  In the 12th century the castle was owned by the Counts of Leiningen.When the male counts died out around 1220, the castle fief was divided and ownership changed several times. Part of the castle was owned by Elise, daughter of Count Emicho III. von Leiningen and wife of Ruprecht the arguable from Nassau. With her death, this share was transferred to the county of Virneburg via her daughter. Another share in the castle fell to the County of Diez and from there to the County of Weilnau. A third part of the Schaumburg fell to the Isenburg family. When the estate was divided in 1232, the Schaumburg share came into the possession of Gerlach I of Limburg. However, the Limburg family had to forego part of the castle in an arbitration award in favor of Kurköln as early as 1266. The Archbishop of Cologne Siegfried von Westerburg transferred the Kurkölner share to the House of Westerburg in 1276.The Westerburg house expanded the Schaumburg from 1279. In order to weaken the position of the castle, Balduin of Luxembourg built Balduinstein Castle near the Schaumburg. A lengthy dispute ensued, as a result of which the village of Balduinstein was separated from the Schaumburg rule in 1321 and made a town.
March 20, 2021
Schaumburg Castle, also known as the Schaumburg, is a castle south of Balduinstein near Limburg an der Lahn. Originally the plant was a hilltop castle. Its main tower is the zero point of the Soldner coordinate system for the Duchy of Nassau.Source; Wikipedia
June 9, 2017
Closed for alleged renovations. But a few years. 😖 the castle belongs to the owner Bilgic Ertürk. Met to read on nnp.de/lokales/limburg_und_umgebung/Neues-Leben-fuer-die-Schaumburg;art680,2955498
August 8, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!