Mountain Biking Highlight
Oberbreitenau with village ruins
More than 400 years have passed since the first eight settlers settled on the plateau of Oberbreitenau after approval by the landlord over the Breitenau and Bischofsmais, Baron John VIII Sigmund von Degenberg zu Schwarzach. A simple forest glassworks was also created. From 1925 the devastation of the last 9 properties began after they were sold to the state. The last residents left the place in 1956. In 1991/92 the municipality of Bischofsmais uncovered individual courtyards, including the Pledl, Knogl, Saller, Wöß and Holzbauer properties. In 1999 the Aigner House was excavated through a private initiative and the remains of the foundation wall were exposed. The Landshut House is still inhabited today, the former Greil-Hof, which serves the Bavarian Forest Association as a managed mountain house (viewing point). The efforts to clear this high-altitude village, which is rather rare for the Middle Bavarian Forest and the district, and its former village corridors were supported by the Bavarian State Forest Administration and others. supported by intensive deforestation. This enabled the high moor (ND) there to be cleared again.
February 24, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!