On 25 September 1871 a special performance of the Oberammergau Passion Play took place in honor of King Ludwig II. The king was so touched and shocked at the same time that he donated the monumental crucifixion group to the Passion players of Oberammergau to a lasting memory.
The king himself determined the material, the artist and the location for the monument. For more than two years the sculptor Professor Halbig from Munich worked on the memorial, before the difficult transport to Oberammergau started on 2 August 1875.The Crucifixion arrived on August 15, 1875 in Oberammergau and was inaugurated on October 15, 1875 on the Osterbichl.The royal house was represented by Baron von La Roche. For three years, on October 15, King Ludwig went to the Crucifixion Group for silent prayer, before he was driven out by the ever-increasing number of curious people.The crucifixion group consists of Kelheim marble and was at that time the largest stone monument in the world. The weight of the individual figures: cross and Christ on pedestal 600 talents. The figures of Maria and Johannes each weigh 40 quintals, the base 480 quintals.
January 23, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!