Bayerischer Platz is a town square in the center of the Bavarian Quarter in the Schöneberg district of Berlin. The Landshuter, the Westarp-, the Salzburger, the Innsbrucker, the Meraner and the Aschaffenburger Straße flow onto it. The Grunewaldstrasse crosses it.
According to the first development plans, the square was named Platz Y. By decision of the Schöneberg City Council, it was named Bayerischer Platz. The name is reminiscent of what was then the Kingdom of Bavaria, today's Free State of Bavaria, and was the center of a whole district with Bavarian street names. In 1908 it was designed as a decorative square with green areas, trees, hedges, a large fountain and wooden benches.
The underground station of the same name went into operation in December 1910, initially with the Schöneberg subway (today: line U4) between Nollendorfplatz in the north and Innsbrucker Platz in the south. The U7 line has also been crossing here since 1971, making it possible to travel to Spandau, Charlottenburg and Neukölln.
Bombardments and firestorms of the Second World War devastated the green area of the square and destroyed large parts of the peripheral buildings. In February 1945, three aerial bombs hit the underground station while two trains stopped there. 63 people died. After the rubble had been removed, there was only a newspaper kiosk in the square.
Since the route of Grunewaldstrasse was straightened in 1956, the street has crossed the square. The green area on the central island was given a new look in 1958 with four fountains in artificial stone basins. The underground station received a glass pavilion structure in the style of the time. The gaps in the peripheral development were closed between 1956 and 1958. The underground pavilion was demolished in 1967 and replaced by the current structure in 1971.
November 24, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!