Bike Touring Highlight
"The Lorraine colliery was a coal mine in Gerthe, a district of Bochum.
The mine had a total of six shafts. The shafts 1, 2 and the weather shaft (later called shaft 6) were in on the Lothringer road.
The pits were all accessed via a railway link between the Bochum-Nord station and the Dortmund-Bövinghausen station.
The capitalizing union Lorraine developed from 1872 to a coal company in the Ruhr. The peak of economic activity was in the twenties of the last century. It was last owned by the Eschweiler mining association EBV. "
The name and foundation of the Lorraine coal mine refer to the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71 and the subsequent annexation of Alsace-Lorraine to the German Reich in 1872. The first shaft was demolished in 1872, followed by four until 1914 Coking plants were built in the mine and, above all, the production of by-products such as tar and ammonia was expanded into an important business area.The development of the Bochum district Gerthe is inextricably linked to the former coal mine Lorraine. To this day, the numerous settlements characterize the townscape for the workforce. For this purpose, some buildings have been preserved on the foundation plant Lorraine 1/2 in the Gerther center. Their use, partly of a cultural nature, provides life on the site and makes it an attraction beyond the district. Special architectural gem is the machine house of the shaft 1 with decorated round arches and barrel-shaped roof design. Like the other older buildings, it dates back to the great reconstruction phase around 1900, when the buildings were given their characteristic design based on the contrast between yellow and red bricks and Art Nouveau ornaments.On the grounds of former Schachtanlage 3 in the Gerther East, several barracks of the local forced labor camp have been preserved in addition to a few buildings. They served after the Second World War, first as accommodation for newly recruited miners, then as Ledigenheim, after closure of the coal mine in 1966/67 as housing for "guest workers". In 1983, a student housing project was built in them, which rebuilt the building into its current state. Despite these modifications, the basic structure of the camp has remained largely unchanged, making it one of the few remaining architectural examples of its kind in Germany. In August 2005 it was registered in the list of monuments.Nationwide sad fame attained the coal mine Lorraine by a heavy mine accident, in which 1912 as a result of a Schlagwetterexplosion 144 miners were killed. Emperor Wilhelm, who was present at the celebrations for the 100th anniversary of Krupp in Essen at that time, then rushed to Gerthe for a media-effective condolence visit. "Source: route-industriekultur.ruhr/themenrouten/16-westfaelische- mining route / zeche-lothringen.htmlFurther information: kulturrat-bochum.de/index.php?id=146
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!