The ruins of the Kirnburg are located at 382 m above sea level on the mountain of the same name (Kurinberc since 1219) above Bleichheim above the confluence of the Kirnbach in the valley of the Bleiche. The castle was the administrative center of the Usenberg and later the Upper Austrian rule of Kenzingen and Kürnberg. The builder of the Kirnburg is Rudolf I von Üsenberg in the early 13th century.
The 60 x 80 m area of the upper castle and its outer bailey is secured with several neck ditches to the south. This spur was once used to access the weir system. The oldest element in the center of the castle is the square tower built shortly after 1200 from humpback ashlars. The original complex also included a curtain wall and a gate, in which a certificate was issued in 1219.
In 1352 Friedrich von Üsenberg sold the castle to Heinrich IV. Von Hachberg. During this time the shield wall and other buildings were built. In 1515 it came - dilapidated and not habitable - into the possession of the knight Wolf von Hürnheim, who probably carried out the last construction work. At that time the hall was redesigned and equipped with a splendid tiled stove. After the destruction in 1638, the castle fell into disrepair and served as a quarry, so that the former building stock is only partially legible today. (van Akkeren / Jenisch 2019)
April 12, 2020
2019 marks the 800th anniversary of the first documentary evidence of Kürnberg Castle. This anniversary was an occasion to take a closer look at the landmark of the Bleichtal. With newly designed information boards, excursions and lectures, the current state of research is compiled and prepared for those interested in history from near and far.For more than 400 years, the castle was a representative residence, fortification, rulership and administrative center in northern Breisgau. Only the remains of the wall, traces of the terrain, some written sources and archaeological finds testify to the former stately Kürnberg Castle. Anyone who embarks on a voyage of discovery can also find a lot of interesting things in the area around the former weir system.See: kirnburg.deWe hope you enjoy exploring the castle
April 1, 2021
From Bleichheim you start the tour to Kürnberg Castle on the Ölberg and climb up the Kammergraben. The route is well signposted here.
Those who hike the Vierburgenweg from Emmendingen (or from the Schlüpfingerhof) can use the 113 road between Bombach and Heimbach for a route to Kirnburg. The entrance here is a parking lot for hikers.
April 1, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!