The Mirow castle island is based on a commandery of the Knights of St. John in the 13th century. After lengthy confrontations with the masters of Sonnenburg, the dukes of Mecklenburg gained influence during the 16th century on the appointment of the Commander. After the death of the last Mirow Komturs the Komturei was finally cared for only by Protestant administrators, who mostly came from the Mecklenburg Herzogshaus and took their princely residence here in the mansion of the Commandery. The Commandery was secularized in 1648. At the castle island buildings was constantly built during this time.With the Hamburg comparison of 1701 Mirow founding member of the newly formed (partial) Duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. The Mirower properties in princely possession was used after the death of Adolf Friedrich II as a widow's seat, the ducal office Mirow had repeatedly supply duties for members of the princely family.After a major fire in 1742, large parts of the building stock were renewed. The Mirower Hof had at that time, despite or perhaps because of his remoteness briefly developed into a spiritual-intellectual center of the country. Many important personalities, who later gave regional impulses to regional developments later in the second half of the century, belonged to the mid-century of the Mirower court society.As fast as the rise lost Mirow since the 1750s again in importance. From the middle of the 18th century, the role of the Mirow castle ensemble was limited almost exclusively to the befitting frame of funeral ceremonies for members of the ducal family. "Mirow is now the site of the dead," a travel writer wrote shortly before the First World War.
April 28, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.