The place where this monster now stands was the Bismarckwarte or the Bismarck Tower, a monument to the great Bismarck, until 1944. At the end of the Second World War, the Bismarckwarte was blown up by the Volkssturm to remove as many points of orientation from the Red Army as possible. Many of the stones of the old monument are still lying around on the slope. Incidentally, church towers in the east of Berlin were also dismantled for the same purpose. Even the wooden Müggelturm was on the Nazi demolition list. The landlord was able to prevent this at the last minute.
In 1954, construction of the Berlin television tower began at this empty spot. It should be 130 meters high. In 1955 the construction was canceled because it was exactly in the entry lane of the new Berlin Schönefeld Airport.
The foundation was then covered with the dome and used by the Stasi for telephone monitoring, as was the listening system on Teufelsberg in West Berlin.
March 8, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!