The mountain church of Our Lady of Sorrows is a pilgrimage church near Laudenbach, a district of Weikersheim in the Main-Tauber district. It is located west of Laudenbach at the end of a crossroads. The building holds art treasures.
The construction of the church was initiated by the local lords of Finsterlohe, the foundation stone was laid in 1412. In 1421, Pope Martin V added “the Capella in the High Wood” to the Laudenbach parish, the original document is now in the State Archives in Stuttgart. The church was consecrated in 1459 by the Würzburg bishop Johann III. from Grumbach.
The building contains a number of art treasures, such as a group of Adoration of the Magi by Tilman Riemenschneider's students, the organ by Johann Philipp Seuffert (1723) and the miraculous image of Sorrows by an unknown artist (probably 15th century). Eduard Mörike described the church in a poem.
March 19, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.