The Zwiefalter Münster Our Lady is a baroque building, which was until 1803 monastery church of the Benedictine Abbey Zwiefalten, since 1812 he is a parish and pilgrimage church. The Zwiefalter Münster is one of the largest churches in Germany.
The predecessor minster of today's Münster was a three-nave, cruciform, Romanesque pillar basilica with vestibule, which had a three-piece, just final chorus and was attached to the monastery building after the Hirsauer Bauschema. Above the crossing of the basilica, which was consecrated on September 13, 1109, was a tower. In the 15th and 17th centuries, chapels were added to the nave. After the monastery had been rebuilt in the Baroque style in 1688, the abbot Augustin Stegmüller decided to demolish the Romanesque cathedral and replace it with a new and larger building designed to cope with the rising pilgrimage.1739 began with chancel and tower construction, on July 11, 1740 then followed the laying of the foundation stone for the nave. Master builders were the brothers Josef and Martin Schneider. These built the church according to the Vorarlberg cathedral scheme as a single-nave pilaster church with chapels and gallery and a short transept and a dome above the crossing. Two large towers with onion helmet were erected at the choir. When the Schneider brothers refused to vault the church, the building was handed over, according to a report, to the Munich architect Johann Michael Fischer, whose new plan for the abbey church created one of the most important buildings of the outgoing Baroque. In 1747, the vault was closed, and in 1765 the building was largely completed, so that the church could be consecrated on 1 September. In 1785 the building was finally finished. Since then, no major changes have been made to the church building.
January 6, 2017
The cathedral is considered a masterpiece of German late Baroque. The construction was started in 1739 by the brothers Joseph and Martin Schneider. The Münsterweihe took place in 1765. The cathedral was completed in 1785. The rich furnishings of the church include a late gothic painting of 1430 as well as baroque ceiling frescoes and an altarpiece by Franz Joseph Spiegler, frescoes by Andreas Meinrad von Ow, stucco work by Johann Michael Feichtmayr, sculptures and a choir stalls by Johann Joseph Christian , - The choir room can only be visited as part of a cathedral tour.
Guided tours bookable
October 17, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!