Octagonal 20 metre high neogothic tower erected in 1857 on the highest point of the Syberg, which can be climbed to gain even higher views above the treetops of the Ruhr valley to the South, the Emscher Valley to the North, and a cool top-down angle into the castle ruins right below the tower. de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohensyburg#Vincketurm
January 4, 2017
The tower was built in 1857 on the highest point of the Syberg (244.63 m above sea level) in memory of the former Chief President of Westphalia Ludwig von Vincke (1774-1844). The honor Vinckes was due to great merit for the establishment of Westphalia after the French rule during the Département Ruhr. The tower is made of Ruhr sandstone.
Ludwig von Vincke married Eleonore von Sieberg to the bush in 1810 and became the owner of the medieval castle ruins Hohensyburg.
In the last days of the Second World War, the tower was used as an artillery observation point for the German Wehrmacht. The attacking troops therefore attacked the tower, and he was hit by grenades. In 1955 the tower was restored and restored.
The current owner is the Landschaftsverband Westfalen-Lippe. The tower is registered as a monument in the list of monuments of the city of Dortmund.
March 31, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!