Former parish church of Wollseifen.
The Wollseifen deserted village is a paralyzed village that had to give way to a military training area after World War II.
Located very close to the former NS-Ordensburg Vogelsang, it is a good memorial against militarism and the war.
January 22, 2018
The former church of St. Rochus was the Roman Catholic parish church of the former village and today's deserted Wollseifen in the city of Schleiden in the district of Euskirchen (North Rhine-Westphalia).
The Wollseifen church dates back to a medieval chapel. Occupied are services in wool soaps for the year 1470.
The present church was built between 1633 and 1635 in baroque forms and consecrated on 22 October 1635. In 1660 the church was elevated to a parish church. 1665 was an increase of the bell tower. He also received a new eight-sided spire. In 1843 an organ stage was installed, in 1848 a porch was built in front of the main portal on the ground floor of the tower and in 1888 a new sacristy was added to the south wall of the choir.
In 1946 the last Holy Mass was celebrated in the church. The village had to be evacuated within three weeks, as the British military administration included the area in the training area Vogelsang. After evacuating the village, the military used the buildings, which were undamaged by the war, as targets for target practice. In 1947, the church burned down, causing much of the interior to be lost. Due to the military use of the church only the outer walls have been preserved. The sacristy and vestibule were even completely destroyed.
August 2, 2018
In addition to the former transformer house, the St. Rochus church is the only surviving house of the Wollseifen disaster. The church was built between 1633 and 1635. In shooting practice, the building was set on fire in 1947 and most of the interior was lost.
September 1, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!