Hiking Highlight (Segment)
It has become quiet on the "Reinart" since the last residents left the Reinartzhof in the middle of the High Fens. That was in 1971. And the last residents were Felix and Nikolaus Gillet and his wife Josephine. They had stubbornly resisted the order to leave their farm (Oberhof).
Almost 50 years ago, exactly on June 26, 1958, the farms on the "Reinart" were expropriated by royal decree because they were located in the catchment area of the Weser; The water of the Weser feeds the Weser Reservoir near Eupen, which behind the 410 meter long and 63 meter high dam wall can store around 25 million water on an area of 125 hectares and is extremely important for the drinking water supply of the region.
A few remains of the wall, information boards and a small chapel are reminiscent of Reinartzhof and the people who lived and worked there in the solitude of the High Fens. Reinartzhof is located on the old pilgrimage route from Aachen to Trier. That is probably the reason why the “Reinart” is located on the new “Eifelsteig”, which also leads from Aachen to Trier.
Source: Aachener Zeitung, May 9th, 2008 edition
September 15, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!