"In a former monastery building is the small town museum, which is the only museum in Rügen, which includes the historical development of Rügen from prehistoric times to the 19th century.Any constantly changing special exhibitions enrich the offer and invite you to visit.
The monastery complex, which includes the monastery courtyard, was consecrated in 1193 together with St. Mary's Church. At that time 20 nuns from Roskilde lived here. After the Reformation, the monastery was dissolved and converted into a Protestant virgin pen. The life in these walls was reserved for ladies of noble origin. After a city fire, the two existing former convent building 1732 were built. Since the completion of the monastery courtyard in 2004, gravestones have been erected here, reminding them as silent witnesses that the cemetery of Bergen was located around St. Mary's Church until 1829.
The Schauwerkstatt next to the Stadtmuseum is another beautiful detail in the historically valuable ensemble of the Klosterhof. Here, the local craftsmen like to look over their shoulders at work. From May to September, the popular flea and craft markets are held monthly in the Klosterhof. Rug-typical products, such as ceramics, candles, jams and liqueurs as well as souvenir items, can be purchased on site. "Source: stadt-bergen-auf-ruegen.de
November 25, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!