The Afelskreuz (Ablasskreuz) stands on an old Roman military road.
For centuries pilgrims have been pilgrimage from Bonn-Cologne to the tomb of the Apostle Matthias in Trier.
Popularly, this way is also called pilgrimage route. However, there is another name: until the 1930s, farmers and traders drove cattle and pigs past the Afelskreuz to the markets in Kelberg and Mehren. The path owes its second name to this fact: Piglet Street.
November 7, 2019
The Afelskreuz (Ablasskreuz) stands on an old Roman army road.
The height of the Afelskreuz is a stately 3.30 meters. The crossbeam, in which the name of the cross is inscribed in large Latin letters, and on the right and left of which the Savior's marks of suffering, on the right the crown of thorns and three nails, on the left the whistle with the vinegar sponge and lance, is 1.80 meters high. Above the crossbeam we read the year 1231, under the bar the year 1931. The chalice with the holy host elaborated as a relief on the upper end of the shaft within a rectangle commemorates the Last Supper. The heart with a flame sign and a cross under the number 1931, also in a rectangle, symbolizes the sacrificial love of Jesus to the people.The year 1231 is legendary. But it is a symbol of many centuries of the history of our homeland. The number 1931 indicates the year in which the present cross was built. It takes the place of a previously decayed cross whose name "AFELSKREUZ" lives on today's cross.The cross erected in 1931 is a foundation of Dr. Joseph Esten, who for many years worked as a physician in Kelberg It was repaired by the brothers Johann and Peter Michels from Kelberg during a period of forty-five years, but after a thorough, very successful restoration, it has been firmly anchored by concrete and iron since the Good Friday of this year (1976) again worthy of his place, who was given a special embellishment by a wooden fence and shrub plantings.
In the area of the Afelskreuz there is a chapel and a way of the cross.For centuries the pilgrims from the Bonn-Cologne area pilgrimage on this way to the tomb of the apostle Matthias to Trier.
In the vernacular this path therefore also called Pilgerstraße. However, there is another name: until the thirties of our century farmers and traders drove cattle and pigs past the Afelskreuz to the markets in Kelberg and Mehren. The path owes its second name to this fact: Ferkelstraße.
October 23, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.