Mountain Biking Highlight
The efforts of the climb, whether on foot or by bike, are rewarded by the magnificent view.
The ruin of the summit castle lies on the summit of the 524 m high stubble mountain in the Kuppenrhön, the remnant of a volcanic vent that was created in the Miocene. The keep of Hauneck Castle is founded on hexagonal basalt columns, which were created by cooling the lava; they come to light at the base of the keep.
History of Hauneck Castle:
Built by the Knights of Haun, about in the 14th century / headquarters in Burghaun
1402 First documentary mention / conquest and partial destruction by the Hessichen Landgrave Hermann
1409 The landgrave finally buys the castle through a purchase agreement with Johann and Heinrich Haun.
1469 Second destruction by the lords of Buchenau
1483 Rebuilding as the seat of a Hessian bailiff by the Landgrave of Hesse-Marburg
1660 abandonment of the office and relocation of the same to Holzheim
In the following period progressing decay.
The castle ruin had to be closed on 1 August 1981 due to danger of collapse.
On May 20, 1982, after extensive renovation, the now-secured castle ruin with walk-in keep was reopened. Since then, the ruin is accessible again and has a beautiful viewpoint.Source: Wikipedia and schloss-buchenau.de
September 25, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!