Hiking Highlight (Segment)
The Nachtigallental is a Siefen (Kerbtal), starting from the eastern edge of the old town of Königswinter in a largely south-south-east direction along the Drachenfels (321 m above sea level) on the south side and the Hirschberg (257 m above sea level) on the north side up to the Siebengebirge. It is traversed by the Hitelbach (also "Mennesbach"). . . . The ridge of the Drachenfels, which runs along the Nachtigallental, is also known under the name Saurenberg or Saurer Berg, which was mentioned in 1715 and comes from a field name.
The Nachtigallental is one of the climbs to the Drachenfels used as an alternative to the Eselsweg.story
The valley was originally called Mennessiefen and crossed by a narrow bush forest path to below the castle courtyard. In order to revive the tourism in Königswinter, which had declined in the middle of the 19th century, the path leading through the valley was expanded into a promenade described as "shady and romantic" by 1861 on the initiative of the mayor of the time August Mirbach and at the same time that Renamed the valley to Nachtigallental. In 1867, also financed by donations, the Oberweingartenweg was built above along the south-west side of the valley to the Drachenfels.Buildings and sights
On June 28, 1925, a forest service was held at the entrance of the Nachtigallental as the beginning of the local parade for the millennium celebration of the Rhineland, and a stone altar table was permanently erected at a fork in the road approx. 150 meters from the entrance to the valley, which was ultimately used as the step of the parish church of St. Remigius had served and goes back to its predecessor church from 1779.
-Wine cellar (somehow overlooked, not listed as a highlight in Komoot)
In the Nachtigallental there is a cooling cellar built into the mountain by the winegrowers' association from 1867. It has a shaped arched gate towards the valley, which is supported upwards by a basket arch that was later cast. The keystone shows a painted coat of arms with a bunch of grapes and the initials W.D.H., on the archway there is a badly weathered inscription. Access to the cellar is guaranteed by a double-wing iron gate that has been open for years.
October 20, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!