The squire Konrad Schilling von Lahnstein is said to have donated a large section of forest to the village of Kottenheim in 1535.
For the 400th anniversary of the donation in 1935 by the sculptor Erich Moog a representation of the Junkers and saying chiseled in the basalt rock.
May 8, 2019
"... In the Middle Ages a knightly noble family owned a court in Kottenheim. The coat of arms of this noble family still represents the coat of arms of the local parish. The description of this coat of arms is: A cross-divided coat of arms, white above, black below, covered with a golden lily cross The coat of arms consists of a helmet and a swan with a black and a white wing that turns to the right, the first document to be sealed with this coat of arms comes from Lantzlot von Kottenheim, who was first mentioned in 1394 and 1448 died.
Another important descendant of this noble family is the junker Konrad Schilling von Lahnstein, whose mother was Margarethe von Kottenheim. Junker Konrad gave the neighboring forest possessions to the citizens of Kottenheim, which is why he is still in good standing of the community to this day. The tufa epitaph from 1539, restored in 2012–2014, which shows the life-size junker, armored and with a helmet on its head, can be seen in the parish church of St. Nicholas. A still image on a fountain base at the end of Junker-Schilling-Straße in the town center, as well as an image engraved and colored in a large basalt boulder in the Kottenheim forest (local recreation area "Auf der Birk"), also show the Junker and explain the gift of the forest. . "
April 16, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.