Idyllic in the forest and in the vineyards, in the outskirts of the Kropsburg, lies the "Burgschänke" with its bright and airy guest room and wonderful wine and beer garden.
Not only because of the very good location and the beautiful surroundings, but also because of the good food and the very pleasant atmosphere is the "Burgschänke an der Kropsburg" a happy and often visited destination. Luckily one can not always count on a free seat, but the host family will gladly accept your reservation. Overnight possible
January 18, 2017
The Kropsburg is located in the district of the southern Palatinate wine-growing community St. Martin in the district of Südliche Weinstrasse (Rhineland-Palatinate).
Before its destruction in 1689, it was u. a. Seat of the highest barons of the empire, the Knights of Dalberg. A successor building erected in 1771 by a Dalberg descendant from the rubble in the courtyard of the lower castle was operated as a restaurant. This restaurant is now closed and the castle is no longer accessible. However, there is a newer restaurant in the outer bailey.
March 1, 2020
The construction of the Kropsburg goes back to the Staufer and is dated to around 1200; At that time, a whole ring of castles was built to shield the Reichsburg Trifels, which was about 20 km away. Similar to the Hambach Castle to the north and the Rietburg Castle to the south, the Kropsburg offered a wide view of the Rhine plain.Initially, the Kropsburg was the seat of a ministerial. It was later inherited by the descendants of the vassals and thus became the Ganerbenburg with several owners, who expanded it into an upper and a lower castle. A small dominion, which consisted of the towns of Sankt Martin, Maikammer and Winnweiler, belonged to the castle. After the end of the Staufers in the second half of the 13th century, it came into the possession of the Bishopric of Speyer. This enfeoffed various noble houses with the Kropsburg, including those of Kropsberg, von Ochsenstein and von Odenbach. John III In 1323, Chamberlain von Worms acquired a house in Kropsburg from his son-in-law, Merkel von Kropsburg. In 1345 he then bought his entire 50% share in the castle and associated goods. The descendants of John III. between 1393 and 1439 they also bought the second half of the Kropsburg, so that it now belonged exclusively to the family of the chamberlains from Worms. From 1492 to 1531 Johann XXII was from this family. Chamberlain of Worms Lord of the Kropsburg and in St. Martin, where his magnificent tomb is preserved in the local Martinskirche.In 1522, the castle chapel St. Ägidius is mentioned in a document, for which Georg von Schwalbach, cathedral custodian and general vicar of the Speyer diocese, approved the safekeeping of the holy of holies. The chaplain of St. Martin also receives permission to work there as a pastor.While the Kropsburg survived the turmoil of the Peasants' War and the Thirty Years' War almost unscathed in the 16th and 17th centuries, it was completely and finally destroyed by French troops in 1689 during the Palatinate War of Succession.In 1771 Jakob Amandus von Dalberg built a new stately home on the ruins of the lower castle. After remodeling and modernization, it later operated as a restaurant until it closed. The new restaurant built on the site is known for its panoramic view over the Rhine plain.
January 15, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!