Built in 1912 on the highest elevation of the Middle Alb tower consists of a interconnected wooden construction on a solid basement floor. There are orientation boards on the viewing platform; two barbecue areas are located next to the tower. The name does not go back to the Romans, but to a family Rem, which was already called in 1356. As early as 1899, a survey scaffolding that was no longer needed was prepared as a walk-in viewing platform, but it was already demolished in 1904 due to weather damage. The tower was eagerly promoted for donations. In the summer of 1912, the new tower was inaugurated at 9,500 marks in construction costs.The view from the tower looks onto an old and a young landscape: to the east, south and southwest, the view sweeps over the summits of the middle Alb with forests, meadows, fields and settlements. This landscape is the work of water and wind for millions of years. In contrast, one looks west down deep into the valley of the Lenninger Lauter, which has cut into the Alb body only in the last millions of years. At the nearby Pfulb she has the upper course of the original Fils (this was again a tributary of the original Lone) tapped and so the valley "beheaded". Between Brucker rock on the bass violin and yellow rock on the Teckberg, the Lauter enters the foothills of the Alb. Below the Teck the Engelhof can be seen, just to the right of it the ruin Wielandstein and the Hohgreutfels and pretty close, above Gutenberg, the hamlet of Krebsstein with the Wasserfelsen, on which the castle Wuelstein once stood. In the north are Reußenstein, Erkenberg and Boßler striking points on Albtrauf. Northeast of the cut of the upper Filstales between Wiesensteig and Geislingen is clearly visible, - to the right of the telecommunications tower Duchstetten. The three Kaiser mountains, Hohenstaufen, Rechberg and Stuifen, are barely visible above the Albtrauf. In the west, the limestone rocks show the edge of the Ermstal.
June 19, 2016
28 meter high Roman stone tower. This was built in 1912 by the Swabian Alb Association after a donation collection, after a surveying scaffolding released for inspection in 1899 had to be demolished in 1904. The tower was constructed as an interconnected wooden structure on a solid base. The construction then cost 9,500 marks. From its viewing platform above the treetops, you can see the Lauter Valley and the Albvorland to the Kaiserbergen mountains to the north. The upper Filstal can be seen in the northeast, the Alb plateau in the other directions.
The tower is open on weekends and public holidays in the warm seasons, at its feet there are two barbecue areas and play equipment for children.(Excerpt from Wikipedia)
April 18, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.