In the 1820s, so-called Heimatfreunde brought the Fliehburg into the consciousness of a wider public for the first time. The excavation was undertaken in 1907/08 under the direction of Friedrich Sprater of the Historical Museum of the Palatinate (Speyer). Sprater still believed that it was a settlement from the Celtic period, as evidenced by the first part of the name, which classifies the Celts as heathens. The complex was marked by the Ritterstein 260 at the beginning of the 20th century.
Recent research has shown that the plant is more than a thousand years younger. The second part of the name comes from the depressions that the collapsed buildings had left in the forest floor. According to current knowledge, it is not certain that the facility has ever been used in accordance with its purpose; at least it is believed that the heathen holes were never permanently inhabited. Although the building remains on a pronounced interior development, but it lacks both regularly operated fireplaces and landfills.
February 26, 2018
The potholes lie on the 347 m high Martensberg. They are surrounded by a rampart. Inside the wall you will find the remains of many dwellings. Presumably, this plant is the remains of a refuge from the inhabitants of the Rhine plain to flee from the predatory Normans and Huns. It was probably built in the 9th-10th. Century.
November 11, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!