Margrave Georg Wilhelm had 1715 not far from the residence city of Bayreuth the Old Castle Hermitage as the center of a courtly hermitage to build. In the year of his accession in 1735 Margrave Friedrich made the terrain of his wife Wilhelmine a gift. Intrigued by the uniqueness of the plant, the Margravine immediately began extensive expansion measures. She first had the Old Palace enlarged, including a music room, a Japanese Cabinet, and the Chinese Hall of Mirrors, where she wrote her famous memoirs.
Between 1743 and 1745, various architectures and fountains, such as the Ruin Theater and the Lower Grotto, were created according to designs by Joseph Saint-Pierre. The construction of the New Castle with the Upper Grotto fell in the years 1749 to 1753. In the course of their expansion of existing gardens Wilhelmine resorted to traditional Baroque elements such as hedgerows, arcades and water features back. Among the gardens of the 18th century, the Hermitage occupies a special position.
July 30, 2015
Fantastically beautiful park on the edge of Bayreuth. The Hermitage of Bayreuth is a historic park with water features and buildings that was created from 1715 and is one of the city's attractions. The so-called Old Castle, the New Castle and other smaller buildings are also located there.
September 7, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.