At the foot of the Hohenstein lies the former hammer pond of an early industrial hammer mill. In 1722 the pond was created on behalf of Peter Lange - manufacturer from Remscheid. In addition to the drain of the pond, he built a hammer mill, which went bankrupt in 1741. After several changes of ownership, Carl Ludwig Berger took over the plant as a pilot plant for his cast steel experiments. In 1881 the factory became the property of the puddling and rolling mill Albert Lohmann. The operation was discontinued in 1892 and the Hammerteich was included in the planning of the new Stadtwald Hohenstein.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!