Bike Touring Highlight
The first lock Wernsdorf was put into operation in 1891 as a one-chamber lock. It had a usable length of 55 meters.
Due to increased ship sizes and an increase in shipping traffic, the north chamber of the lock was repaired from 2004 and extended to a usable length of 115 meters to the east. The south chamber is out of service.
May 7, 2020
The lock Wernsdorf forms the lock group of the canal stage Wernsdorf in the federal waterway Spree-Oder-Wasserstraße in the German state Brandenburg. It is the responsibility of the Berlin Waterways and Shipping Office.history
The first lock in Wernsdorf was put into operation in 1891 as a single-chamber lock. It had a usable length of 55 meters and was located on the site of today's southern chamber. The first north chamber was built in 1904. Both lock chambers were provided with hinged gates in the upper part and with stem gates in the lower part. To enable larger ships to pass through the south chamber, the stem gate was replaced by a lifting gate in 1929 and the jamb on the head was shortened by 1.40 m. This increased the usable length of the south chamber to 67.5 meters. This conversion measure brought great benefits for shipping due to its comparatively low costs. Due to increased ship sizes and an increase in shipping traffic, after previous investigations, the north chamber of the lock was repaired from 2004 and extended to the east to a usable length of 115 meters. The width is now 9.40 meters. The head moved to the east received a folding gate. The northern chamber was opened to traffic on November 21, 2006. The southern chamber has been decommissioned.
August 11, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.