Bike Touring Highlight
"In the town books of 1680, the stately timbered warehouse on Lohberg is called" Hinricus Noytes Brauhaus no. I am Lohberg anno 1452 "mentions.
After extensive refurbishment in 1995 reopened as "Brauhaus am Lohberg zu Wismar anno 1452", brewing here again, according to an old Hanseatic tradition, delicious barley juice.
You can experience typical brewhouse ambience on three floors and taste the various home-brewed beers. Each weekend, various live bands and DJs provide musical entertainment and great atmosphere.
The Brauhaus am Lohberg is the only still active brewery in Wismar.
In the 15th century there were over 180 different breweries in Wismar, which brewed about 50,000 hectoliters of delicious barley juice.
In Wismar every citizen who owned a suitable house was allowed to brew beer. The rightful citizens rented their houses to other brewers on their wedding days.
Gradually, the whole city was littered with breweries. The brewing lords, at the same time often councilors, gained immense wealth through the brewery.
Of these, they had the three large Gothic churches built, which still characterize the cityscape of Wismar today.
A strong-dark, extremely strong brew called "Mumme" made Wismar known far beyond the city limits. This Mumme was probably the strongest beer of the Hanseatic League with about nine percent alcohol. The high alcohol content made the beer more durable. This could better survive the sometimes weeks long cruises.
Wismarer beer was so popular that there were import bans in Lübeck, Gdansk and Kiel, because there they were afraid of selling their own beer.
The Wismarer beer was shipped to Holland, Flanders, Portugal, England and the Scandinavian region.Over the year, six different beers are offered:
- Wismar Pilsener: fine-sour and spicy North German Pilsener
- Red Eric: mild and aromatic, reddish color through the use of special malt, popular in the Hanseatic period, especially in Scandinavia
- Wismarer Mumme: full-bodied and maltaromatic full beer, "export hit" to the Wismar Hanseatic League
- Autumn beer: full-bodied, tasty and very malt-stressed, only available in autumn
- Christmas beer: tasty and malty, available at Christmas time
- Maibock: very strong with pronounced malt sweetness, available from 23 April (German Beer Day) "Source: ostsee.de/wismar/brauhaus.html
December 4, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!