Only a few kilometers from the city center of Koblenz, in the district of the same name, high above the left bank of the Rhine, rises the castle Stolzenfels. In terms of art and cultural history, the castle, which was built in the 19th century from the ruins of a 13th-century castle and has an associated park and gardens, is one of the most notable achievements of Prussian Rhine Romanticism.
Built as a castle Stolzenfels by Trier archbishop Arnold of Isenburg, this was used until 1412 for the collection of the Rhine tolls. In 1689, the French destroyed the castle during the Palatinate War of Succession. After the defeat of Napoleon, the plant became the property of the city of Koblenz. In 1823, the city finally gave the ruins to the Prussian Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm.
After he commissioned the famous architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel with the reconstruction, in 1836 the work began according to Schinkel's plans.
In 1842 the inauguration was celebrated with a great costume ball. Schloss Stolzenfels was open to the public from this time on and has always been considered the epitome of Rhine romance.
Today, the beautiful, enchanting castle complex, in which one can experience the impressive living culture of the 19th century, can be reached on foot via a serpentine path from the district of Stolzenfels.
1st February - 14th March: Sat., Sun. & holidays 10.00 - 17.00 hrs
15th March - 31st October: Tue. - Sun. & holidays 10.00 - 18.00
1st - 30th November: Sat., Sun. & holidays 10.00 - 18.00 hrs
Closed January & December
December 30, 2016
Splendid. Delightful. Mysterious.The traveler notices it from afar: The light and fairytale-like building on the left bank of the Rhine, which grows lightly in its light color, differs from most castles that one encounters in the Upper Middle Rhine Valley UNESCO World Heritage Site.As a customs castle originally built around 1244 by Archbishop Arnold von Isenburg of Trier, Stolzenfels Castle was destroyed by French troops in 1689 during the Palatinate War of Succession and even served as a quarry in the 18th century. After the ruins became the property of the city of Koblenz in 1802, they gave them to Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm (IV.) In 1823. He had the facility rebuilt from 1836 according to the plans of the Berlin architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel, while the old walls were integrated into the new building. Stolzenfels Castle with its gardens and large landscaped park was completed in 1842; The chapel was consecrated in 1845. Until his death in 1861, Friedrich Wilhelm IV. Stayed with his wife Elisabeth several times in Stolzenfels Castle, which has remained almost unchanged to this day.tor-zum-welterbe.de/schloss-stolzenfels/info/geschichte-des-schlosses
October 29, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.