komoot
  • Discover
  • Route planner
  • Features
Discover

Mainau: Schmetterlingshaus

Mainau: Schmetterlingshaus

Hiking Highlight

Recommended by 281 out of 291 hikers
  • Take Me There
loading

Tips

  • Bernd 🌲🦌🍄🥾

    The butterfly house is the second largest in Germany. A real tropical feeling arises during the tour through the exotic landscape with unique vegetation:
    At around 90% humidity and temperatures between 25°C and 30°C, you can marvel at around 120 different species of free-flying tropical butterflies from Africa, Asia, Central and South America.
    At times, moths with a wingspan of up to 30 cm can also be seen. 70% of the moths come directly from the countries of origin, where they are bred in special breeding farms. These arrive weekly as dolls on the island of Mainau. The remaining 30% multiply directly in the butterfly house on the respective food plants.
    There, the development from the egg to the caterpillar (larva) and pupa to the finished moth can be observed.
    Source: mainau.de/de/ariatlementen-detail attraction/schmetterlingshaus.html?location=schmetterlingshaus

    translated byView Original
    • September 9, 2022

  • At a 90% humidity and temperatures between 25 ° C and 30 ° C you can marvel at free-flying tropical butterflies from Africa, Asia, Central and South America in about 120 different species.
    At times, moths with wingspan up to 30 cm can also be seen. 70% of the moths come directly from the countries of origin, where they are bred in special breeding farms. These arrive weekly as dolls on the island of Mainau. The remaining 30% multiply directly in the butterfly house on the respective forage plants.
    There the development of the egg over caterpillar (larva) and pupa up to the finished moth can be observed.

    translated byView Original
    • April 5, 2017

  • Many different species fly around in the butterfly house, they even land on your hand or head, very impulsive

    translated byView Original
    • June 20, 2022

  • Nice different butterflies to see

    translated byView Original
    • July 16, 2021

  • A lot of butterflies 🦋

    translated byView Original
    • March 16, 2022

  • I have never seen so many butterflies. It is worth a visit.

    translated byView Original
    • July 5, 2017

  • Mainau Island really worth seeing the butterfly house wow

    translated byView Original
    • June 23, 2020

  • A wonderful experience, a must for children. If you're lucky, a butterfly will sit on you 😍

    translated byView Original
    • June 23, 2020

  • A wonderful experience where you can see the large butterflies up close

    translated byView Original
    • June 23, 2020

  • A highlight of the Mainau day is certainly a visit to the second largest butterfly house in Germany. A tour through the exotic landscape with unique vegetation gives you a real tropical feeling:
    With a humidity of approx. 90% and temperatures between 25 ° C and 30 ° C you can marvel at free-flying tropical butterflies from Africa, Asia, Central and South America in approx. 120 different species.
    At times moths with a wingspan of up to 30 cm can also be seen. 70% of the moths come directly from their countries of origin, where they are bred in special breeding farms. These arrive weekly as dolls on the island of Mainau. The remaining 30% reproduce directly in the butterfly house on the respective forage plants.
    There the development from egg to caterpillar (larva) and pupa to the finished butterfly can be observed.

    translated byView Original
    • June 4, 2021

  • Just beautiful you have to see.

    translated byView Original
    • July 8, 2017

  • Do not visit at lunchtime, very warm

    translated byView Original
    • August 22, 2017

  • A lively butterfly house with a lot of beautiful specimens. Maybe even the highlight of the entire island. Unfortunately, the keeping of cockatoos in cages that are much too small leaves a lot to be desired. Therefore, it is no longer entirely up-to-date.

    translated byView Original
    • July 5, 2021

  • To see a lot of different butterflies

    translated byView Original
    • July 16, 2021

  • The most beautiful garden landscape in Germany is always worth a visit. You should take the time to do that

    translated byView Original
    • May 28, 2018

  • A must for all Mainau visitors. Butterflies wherever your eyes go.

    translated byView Original
    • October 7, 2018

  • The butterfly house was my personal highlight on the island of Mainau.

    translated byView Original
    • June 19, 2020

  • The butterfly house was my personal highlight on the island of Mainau.

    translated byView Original
    • June 19, 2020

  • Very impressive, but you need a little patience to see the splendor of the butterflies and to be able to take photos.

    translated byView Original
    • June 27, 2021

  • Beautifully laid out and suitable for all ages.

    translated byView Original
    • June 6, 2022

  • As of May 2020 no access allowed!

    translated byView Original
    • May 23, 2020

  • Very high humidity, be sure to visit in the morning ;-)

    translated byView Original
    • August 18, 2017

  • In the butterfly house 🦋 on the island of Mainau there are many wonderful colorful butterflies to admire 👍🏻

    translated byView Original
    • June 22, 2022

  • In the butterfly house on the island of Mainau you can observe many colorful butterflies on a short tour and, if you are quick, you can also take photos.

    translated byView Original
    • June 27, 2022


In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Best Hikes to Mainau: Schmetterlingshaus

loading

Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.

Learn More
  • Easy
    01:08
    2.60 mi
    2.3 mph
    200 ft
    200 ft
  • Easy
    00:51
    1.97 mi
    2.3 mph
    125 ft
    125 ft
  • Easy
    00:39
    1.49 mi
    2.3 mph
    125 ft
    125 ft
  • Easy
    00:34
    1.31 mi
    2.3 mph
    100 ft
    75 ft
  • Intermediate
    02:20
    5.52 mi
    2.4 mph
    225 ft
    225 ft
  • Intermediate
    03:51
    9.23 mi
    2.4 mph
    275 ft
    275 ft
  • Difficult
    06:22
    15.4 mi
    2.4 mph
    325 ft
    325 ft
  • Difficult
    05:24
    12.9 mi
    2.4 mph
    450 ft
    450 ft
  • Plan Your Own Tour
loading
Location: Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Baden-Württemberg

loading