The monastery Kniebis in Kniebis in the Black Forest was from 1277 to 1535. First, a community of Franciscan Terziars, it was in 1341 a priory of the Benedictine monastery Alpirsbach.
The monastery was built from a chapel first mentioned in 1267 at the pass of the trade route between Ulm and Strasbourg. The chapel, which was run by Franciscans, was conquered by the convent in 1278 by Heinrich von Fürstenberg. In 1341, the convent assumed the monastery of Alpirsbach. In 1463 and 1513 fires destroyed the monastery. Duke Ulrich of Württemberg lifted the monastery in the Reformation.
December 2, 2016
"... Today we only find the ruins of the monastery church - namely the entrance area, the so-called paradise, on the Kniebis. In 2003, a peace bell from the local history association Kniebis was set up next to the former monastery church. In addition, an herb garden was created and planted with the common herbs of the 9th century The Kniebis local history association is happy to offer guided tours of the monastery and the herb garden.
The name Kniebis probably originated from "knee bite" - ie knee bump, knee biter or similar, and is probably due to the slope. ... "
June 24, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.