Bike Touring Highlight
When the Elbe-Lübeck Canal was built around 1900 as the successor of the too small Stecknitz Delvenau Canal, there was still no electricity in the villages.Unlike the old canal with its shallow boulevards and the narrow locks with pullout piles, one had to come up with something to move the mighty gates during the smuggling operations.August Hotopp devised a new principle: the movement of the gates through the use of water energy at the different heights of the upper and lower water with the help of hydraulics. Even today, lockkeepers only have to set different levers and turn wheels, and the lock operates as though by magic.In order to save the scarce water of the summit between Mölln and Witzeeze, the upper half of the lock chamber was drained into a sink, after the locks it ran back into the lower part of the chamber without additional energy, and half of the water had been saved Sparbecken are no longer used today.During the construction of the canal, the old canal bed was used as far as Büchen with straightening of the loops, so that the Stecknitz in the canal was lost. From the Delvenau there is the east of the canal nor the old stream bed, which is only a narrow trickle due to the greatly reduced catchment area.Source:
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!