The story about the farmer Steffes: Old Steffes had cattle disease in the house. On Sundays and holidays he was not allowed to attend church services with other people in the church. So instead he went to the old oak tree (now cut down) to pray there. Since then, people have been making pilgrimages to the old oak. They hung pictures of Mary and various saints there. A plastered image of the Madonna was placed in the hollow of the old tree.
A wooden cross was later set up opposite the oak. In 1880 the adjacent figures of Maria and Johannes were added. In 1901 the wooden cross was replaced by the current crucifix.
In 1940 the statue of Our Lady in the oak was replaced by a carved image of the Madonna. At the consecration, the vow was given to build a way of the cross on the pilgrimage route to the Steffeskirchle as soon as possible. Linked to this promise to Our Lady to protect our soldiers and our homeland. With the consent of Archbishop Dr. The outer structure of the stations and the artistic design of the secrets of suffering could be approached more roughly. After the Second World War, the execution of the pledge began. In the years 1945-1949 the stations were carved from linden wood by the sculptor Anton Göbel from Assamstadt.
March 28, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!